China University of Geosciences
2021 Admission of International Students for PhD Degrees
China University of Geosciences (CUG) is a key national university affiliated to the Ministry of Education. CUG is one of the key universities which are authorized by the state to establish Graduate School. It is one of the first group universities listed in the national “211 Project” and the national “Double World-Class Project”. Located along the shore of East Lake and seated at the foot of Mount Nan Wang, CUG features in a world-class specialization in geosciences, incorporating a wide range of research fields into diverse categories such as Science, Engineering, Literature, Management, Economics, Law, Education and Art etc. CUG’s two national primary key disciplines, Geology and Geological Resources and Geological Engineering, are listed in the “Double First-Class Disciplines”. CUG’s 7 fields, namely, Geosciences, Engineering, Environmental Science / Ecology, Material Science, Chemistry, Computer Science and Social Science have been listed in the top 1% global institutions in ESI (Essential Science Indicators), with Geosciences among the top 1‰. According to the latest rankings published by U.S. News & World Report, CUG is ranked as: NO. 1 Best Universities for Geosciences in China, NO. 17 Best Global Universities for Geosciences NO.23 Best National Universities in China and NO.355 Best Global University.
The university has a well-qualified faculty with 11 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 310 doctoral supervisors, 520 professors and 927 associate professors.Amongst them there are 16 winners of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, 19 winners of the Excellent Young Scientist Foundation, 29 recipients of the supports from Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University sponsored by the Ministry of Education. CUG also boast a variety of renowned teaching and research teams, including 3 teams supported by the Foundation for Innovative Research Groups of NSFC, 3 Innovation Teams supported by the Ministry of Education, 6 National-level Teaching Teams, 1 winner of the National Teaching Master Award and 9 winners of the Hubei Teaching Master Award.
CUG is composed of two campuses, the Nanwangshan Campus situated near the East Lake Scenic Spot and the Future City Campus situated in the Future Technology city in Wuhan. CUG also boasts four field training centers: Zhoukoudian in Beijing, Beidaihe in Hebei Province, Zigui in Hubei Province, and Badong in Hubei Province.At present, CUG has 86 science research institutions, laboratories and research institutes, including 2 national key laboratories, 1 Chinese National Engineering Research Center, 1 State Ministry of Science and Technology Cooperation geological engineering facility and 1 Innovation Talent Training Demonstration facility. CUG has established 15 centers for postdoctoral studies, 16 first-class doctoral discipline areas ,33 first-class master discipline areas and 65 undergraduate programs. At present, its registered full-time students total 30617, including 18080 undergraduates, 9302 master students, 1916 doctoral students and 1319 international students. (Data summarized in November, 2020)
CUG owns distinctive characteristics and prominent advantages in the research fields such as geology, mining resources and energy, geological engineering, geophysics, hydrogeology and environmental geology, GIS, surveying and mapping, materials science and chemistry and economics and management, to name but a few, contributing to a series of key achievements. Since 2010, a number of honors and awards have been won under the name of CUG, including 2 special awards of the National Science and Technology Progress Award (co-partner) , 1 second prize of the National Natural Science Award, 3 second prizes of the National Science and Technology Progress, 38 provincial- and ministerial-level science and technology awards, 1 award of the “Ten Scientific and Technological Advances in China”, 2 awards of the “Ten Major Geological Science and Technology Progress of China” and 2 awards of the “Ten Major Progress of Geological Mineral Exploration of China”. Moreover, CUG is home to 5 scientists who were recognized on the Clarivate’s list of “Highly Cited Scientists”, 9 researchers recognized on the Elsevier’s list of “Most Cited Researchers”, 61 researchers recognized as the authors of the ESI’s list of “Highly Cited Papers”. CUG is also in charge of the publishing of several high-level academic journals, including the Chinese version of the Journal of Earth Science which is indexed by the internationally reputed science and technology literature retrieval system, EI Compendex, the English version of the Journal of Earth Science which is indexed by SCIE, and the Journal of China University of Geosciences (Scocial Science Edition) which is indexed by CSSCI.
Outstanding students from all over the world are cordially welcomed to apply for Ph.D. degrees at CUG.
I. Program Introduction
Applicants who are under 40 years old, non-Chinese citizen with a valid passport and have a master’s degree can apply for PhD degrees at China University of Geosciences.
Note: Applicants who once held Chinese nationality and then were naturalized as a foreign national or whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall hold valid foreign passport or certificate of nationality for no less than 4 years and have the record of having lived in a foreign country for more than 2 years in the recent 4 years (as of April 30th of the entry academic year).
II. The Form and System of Learning
International PhD graduate students have a flexible educational system. The basic length of program is four years, and this can be extended up to a maximum of seven years. Students who apply for Chinese-taught programs should study one-year Chinese language course and pass the HSK 4 test with a score no less than 220 in order to start major study.
III. Tuition and Scholarships
i. Chinese Government Scholarship
China University of Geosciences is designated by the Ministry of Education to grant qualified candidate students Chinese Government Scholarships. Over the years, CUG has carried out many Chinese Government Scholarship programs such as University Graduate Programs, Silk Road Scholarship Programs and Bilateral Programs.
1. University Postgraduate Scholarship Program: This program offers full scholarship (including tuition, living allowance of 3,500RMB/month for Phd students, on-campus accommodation and comprehensive medical insurance). International student applicants must complete a Chinese Government Scholarship application which is assessed by CSC for approval upon admission. CSC also conducts an annual assessment of Chinese Government Scholarship students’ academic records and research performance to evaluate the continued eligibility.
2. Bilateral Scholarship Program: The Bilateral Scholarship Program includes all levels of available educational programs. It is usually recommended by the Chinese Embassies or Educational Departments in international students’ home countries. The scholarship includes full scholarships and partial scholarships. To help excellent international students obtain scholarships recommended from Chinese embassies or from their Department of Education, CUG International Admission and Program Development Office provides Pre-Admission Letter to qualified applicants. Please contact the International Admission and Program Development Office in advance. Applicants should consult with their local Chinese embassies or foreign student dispatch department for information about application procedures and application time for the Bilateral Scholarship Program.
3. CUG President Scholarship: The University provides "Belt and Road" special scholarships for elite graduate students to reward those international students who make outstanding contributions to society and scientific progress. This Program provides a first-year scholarship. the types of scholarship are as follows, Tuition-waiver, Half Tuition Free, 20% Tuition Free and 10% Tuition Free.
ii. Tuition Standards
Ph.D. students: 35,000 RMB/year (Approximately 5000 USD/year)
All charges are subject to the latest updates from the Administration for Commodity Prices. CUG will release information about any changes of tuition forth with.
IV. Application Requirements
The following conditions must be met for applying a PhD degree under the Chinese Government Scholarship program:
1．Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with valid foreign passports.
2．Applicants must abide by the laws and regulations in China, having good character and respecting Chinese social customs and habits.
3．Applicants must meet one of the following academic conditions:
（1）Applicant has already obtained a master’s degree or is an outstanding fresh graduate (the degree must be obtained before admission).
（2）Applicant has at least 6 years of working experience in the field of the chosen subject or similar subjects, and has published more than 1 academic paper in relevant academic journals.
（3）Applicant has obtained a master’s degree or above.
4．Applicant is physically and mentally healthy without serious diseases, infectious diseases or serious physical defects. Applicant must pass the required national admission physical examination.
5. Candidates who apply for programs taught in Chinese shall provide a copy of their HSK 4 level certificate with a score above 220 points. Non-native English-speaking applicants who apply for programs taught in English are required to provide TOEFL IBT (80 or above) or IELTS (6.0 or above) scores.
Notes: Students who do not meet the requirements for Chinese language proficiency should have a one-year additional Chinese language course and only after meeting the requirements can they start the major study, or they have to extend the Chinese language learning or discontinue the study.
ii. Application for self-funded Ph.D. students is implemented as follows:
1. Applicants must meet requirements 1 to 4 of i.
2. Language requirements for self-funded postgraduates can be relaxed appropriately.
V. Online Application and Material Delivery
i. Online Application
1.Applicants for the Chinese Government Scholarship need to register and fill out the application forms on the CSC website (http://www.campuschina.org) within the prescribed time (from December 15, 2020 to March 15, 2021). After registering online, please send a printed copy of the online application documents to the Admissions Office of the International Education College in CUG. Once the printed documents are submitted, the online registration information cannot be modified or re-filled. One applicant shall retain one valid registration only. No further information can be submitted after the deadline.
2. Applications for university scholarships and self-funded studies should be registered on CUG’s registration website (http://admission.cug.edu.cn/member/login.do) within the prescribed period of time (from January 1 to May 10, 2021). Please mail the hard-copy documents to the Admission and Program Development Office of the International Education College in CUG before 5 p.m. May 20, 2021 after finishing the online application.
ii. Checklist for Application
1．Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (only for government-funded students), Enrollment Application Form for International Students of CUG (only for university scholarship or self-funded students). Please fill out the form in English or Chinese.
2. Notarized master’s degree certificates and bachelor’s degree certificates (If the original text is not in Chinese, a notarized translation should be provided).
3. Master’s and bachelor’s transcripts (If the original text is not in Chinese, a notarized translation should be provided).
4. Study plan or research proposal (in Chinese or English with a minimum of 1000 words) detailing how applicant will combine previous study experience with the future research in China.
5．Two signed recommendation letters in Chinese or English from professors, at least one of which must be sent from the university where the applicant obtained his or her degree certificates.
6.A self-introduction video (in Chinese or English, 3-5minutes)
7.Copies of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form which is valid in a half year (the original copy should be kept by the applicant).
8.A copy of the personal information page of the applicant’s valid passport.
9.Copies of the passport and work or income certificate of the guarantor listed in The International Student Economic Guarantee (only for school scholarship or self-funded applicants).
10.HSK certificates or TOFEL/ IELTS certificates. (Applicants with good language proficiency are preferred)
11. Certificate of No Criminal Record.
12.Other materials (supervisor acceptance letter, certificates of awards, published papers and monographs.)
ii. Qualification Examination
During the application period, the International Education College andthe candidates’ supervisor groups will check the academic information and reports of Chinese Government Scholarship applicants. The applicant's professional knowledge, language proficiency, academic ability, scientific research and supervisors’ opinions will all be important indicators in our assessment. We warmly welcome student applicants who are recommended by experts or are from inter-school university exchange programs.
Applicants should pay close attention to the contact e-mail to avoid any delay in communication during the application period. Any conduct of falsification, fraud, providing incomplete materials (including non-notarized documents), or delayed materials will result in immediate disqualification of eligibility for applying the Chinese Government Scholarship of China University of Geosciences.
VI. Admission and notification
1．CUG adheres to the principle of enrolling the best candidates. Due to the limited enrollment quota, applicants who meet admission requirements but fail to obtain the Chinese Government Scholarship can be preferentially admitted if the applicants agree to be admitted as self-funded doctoral students.
2．Applicants with master's pre-graduation certificates or studying certificates must submit their master's degree certificates the Admission and Program Development Office of CUG on or before the registration day, otherwise the admission qualification will be cancelled.
3．International students who have received an acceptance letter from supervisors of CUG, a recommendation from an overseas partner university or domestic strategic cooperation unit can be preferentially awarded the scholarship with priority over other applicants.
4．Results of the applicants applying for Chinese government scholarships: CUG will confirm the list of applicants and submit it to the Chinese National Scholarship Council before the end of March. The admission list submitted by the university will be confirmed by the CSC; the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Foreign Students in China (JW201 form) will be sent to the applicants before the end of May. Please make sure that the correct mailing address is reserved to receive the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form.
5. Admission results for university scholarships and self-funded students: the admission list will be released before June 1st. The Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Foreign Students in China (JW202 form) will be sent to the applicants before June 10th. Please make sure that the correct mailing address is reserved to receive the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form.
6. International students’ graduate enrollment information, the list of candidates for admission and admission information are all announced on the International Education College website (http://iec.cug.edu.cn). The CUG IEC official Wechat will also release the results; please keep following the updates of the IEC website and also the IEC official Wechat.
VII. Consultation and Service
The Admission and program Development Office of International Education College in CUG will reply to all questions in a timely manner.
Admission and Program Development Office of International Education College
Tel: 027-67883283 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check the attachment for the list of Majors and Professors.
Uni: China University of Geosciences
Address：388 Lumo Road, Wuhan, Hubei, P. R. China
College：Admission and Program Development Office of International Education College
Contact：Mrs. Wu Mr. Liu